Hi, my name is Pete and on December 26th, 2011 I looked in the mirror and saw a sad, fat and depressed person staring back at me. I decided right then, that I would get my butt off the couch and get in shape so I could hike the 3,000 mile Continental Divide Trail (CDT) that goes from Mexico to Canada. It would be no easy task. I weighted almost 300 lbs and I have been suffering from Crohn’s disease most of my life.
I started backpacking about 10 years ago and ever since I first heard of the trail, it has been my dream to hike the CDT. Why the CDT & why do it?
- Because in my view it is the baddest of all the other long trails (AT & PCT)
- I love the idea of setting a very difficult goal for myself that will challenge me logistically, mental and financially.
- It will beat the procrastination and laziness that I’ve been self imposing on myself since I was a kid out of me.
- I will lose weight which will make me happier, healthier and help me lead a better life
- I want to be someone other people and my 7-year-old nephew and other kids can look up to
I also hope to inspire, at least one person, who is sad, fat and depressed to change their life. I want them to see that you can live the life that you’ve dreamed about living. I also want to inspire and give hope to other people and especially kids who are suffering with Crohn’s & IBS. People who suffer from this disease can live a normal life, you can accomplish something like this without having to worry about where the bathroom is all the time. Technically, I can go where I want on this trip 🙂
In summary, I’m just a ordinary guy with nothing to lose but everything to gain.
Thanks for taking the time to read this! Please follow my blog here and twitter @Couch2CDT
See you on the trails….